Zamoskvoreche ("beyond the Moskva River") applies to the southern area of the old city opposite the Kremlin. Until modern times Zamoskvoreche had a sleepy rural feel—even today the old twisting streets give it a character all but obliterated in other parts of the city. By the 17th century Zamoskvoreche was well settled by artisans serving the court; it was also the first line of defense against the Tatars. In the 19th century members of the most distinctive of classes, the Moscow merchants, built their homes here. They also sponsored artists and after time created Russia's first art museum, the Tretyakov Gallery.
Gorky Park, popularized by Martin Cruz Smith's Cold War novel of the same name, is situated along the right bank of the Moskva River, just beyond Krymsky Most (Crimea Bridge). Aside from the park and the Tretyakov Gallery, ulitsa Bolshaya Ordinka is a draw for its many Russian Orthodox churches.
POINTS OF INTEREST
Church of St. Catherine
Commissioned by Catherine the Great in 1763 and designed by Karl Blank, this white classical-style church sits on the corner…Learn More >
Church of the Icon of Our Lady the Joy of All Who Sorrow
Designed by Osip Bove and built between 1828 and 1835, the neoclassical-era church is an excellent example of the Empire…Learn More >
Central House of Artists
The street entrance of this huge, modern building leads to the exhibit halls of the Artists' Union, where members display…Learn More >